November 10, 2007

Hook, Line, and Zapper

This week I heard people talking about something called electrofishing and I was surprised to learn what it was about. Actually, I was more disgusted that surprised.

In a nutshell, electrofishing involves using an electric current to draw fish to your boat and capture them easily. With two electrodes in the water (anode and cathode) and the correct current, nearby fish will begin swimming involuntarily toward the anode and then become briefly paralyzed or stunned when they reach it. Sometimes this isn't the case and the fish will begin jumping out of the water, making it even easier to net them.

Right off the bat - what the frig? Is anyone else sort of disturbed by this?

Okay, I'll admit that most of the sites I found talking about electrofishing explained how it's a good way to capture fish alive for surveys and assessing the types and number of fish in ponds, lakes, and whatnot. That's what they are advertised for, but I'm certain this technology is abused ... a lot.

People are zapping ponds and lakes to catch fish. The fish can't do anything but swim to their doom, and then go into a state of narcosis so some jack off can scoop them out of the water. I can't believe they have the balls to call this fishing. It's the equivalent of lighting the woods on fire and waiting by the road for a deer to come running out so you can shoot it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...light the woods on fire...hmm, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, I love hunting!