February 22, 2008

The People Vs. Reason.

I heard about a couple who were dining at a restaurant and got into a heated argument. It resulted in the woman throwing a drink at her boyfriend, slipping on the spill, and suing the restaurant. And somehow, in the end, she won a huge cash settlement.

Obviously any sane thinking person can see that logic was bypassed in this situation. The sad part is that it's true. I hardly see how the restaurant could be responsible for what happened. The woman spilled the drink herself; the fact that she was at a restaurant is irrelevant. She purchased the drink, so therefore she was injured by her own property. If an employee had poured her drink on the floor and then shoved her to the ground....well then you have a lawsuit.

I mean honestly, what every happened to being responsible for your own actions? The woman caused a scene, made a mess, and acted irrationally in a public setting. As I can see, the manager should have kicked her out of his establishment, but somehow he ended up having to pay her. This woman deserved a bruised ass and not a penny more.

This sort of thing is happening far too often. Let's look at this hypothetical situation. Let's say a burglar broke into your home to steal from you. Now let's say that you have a dog, and that dog attacked the intruder and bit him. That thieving person could now technically sue you. The purpose of going to court is to find justice. If a dog attacks a burglar, that's an example of justice, but in our society it's twisted into an unjust act.

If someone deliberately breaks into my home to do harm to myself or family, and then ends up getting hurt, how is that my fault? If that'll happen I might as well kill the bastard. If I stab the intruder and slip and fall in his blood, can I sue his family? Can I be compensated for missed work if I hurt my back carrying his body to a river?

It's an extreme scenario, but it fits in perfectly with the "logic" of these cases. So if you hear a commotion in the night and you go downstairs to find a criminal with a broken leg, having tripped over your coffee table in the dark, and he shouts "I'm gonna sue!", well you just calmly pick up a baseball bat and say:

"Sue? SUE!? I'll give you something to sue about!!"

Also, as a bonus, you might take a mean splinter off the bat and be able to sue baseball.

No comments: