June 24, 2010

Sandwich with Side of Adrenaline

Today I had a thrilling first experience that didn't involve drugs of any kind. I got to experience an earthquake.

As you no doubt heard, Ottawa experienced a 5.5 magnitude earthquake on Wednesday. At the time I was out having lunch with my partner in crime at a bistro pub when it happened. We were nearly finished our meal when suddenly the restaurant began rumbling. My first thought was that it was a big truck on the road shaking things up, so I turned my head toward the open front of the bistro to see the street.

Instead of seeing a truck, I watched as the front of the restaurant rocked and swayed with the increasing tremors. People were jumping from their seats and rushing the door, and someone outside was shouting, "Everyone get out! Get out!"

It seemed like sound advice, so I ran. Once we were out on the sidewalk I could still feel the quake rumbling beneath my feet and a stranger pointed out to me that the parking meters were vibrating and wobbling.

As it had happened I had thought, "This can't be an earthquake, right? Ottawa doesn't have earthquakes, right?" And in the moment of fleeing the restaurant, I can honestly say it was one of the most frightening moments of my life. I may have peed a little. Of course no one was hurt or killed and the restaurant hadn't collapsed the moment we stepped clear, but it was exhilarating nonetheless.

The experience did teach me to always be on my toes. Also, for some reason once I was outside, I found that I had escaped clutching my napkin; as if that would be something important to save. Yeah ... don't call me in a moment of crisis to save your family from a burning building. I'll just end up rescuing all the linens.

So far in my life I've experienced floods, a hurricane, and now an earthquake. Next on my list? I'm looking at you, tornado. Bring it on!

6 comments:

kingshearte said...

Don't forget blizzards!

As for earthquakes in Ottawa, yep, we get them. Quite regularly, in fact. We are actually located directly over a fault, and we have minor earthquakes apparently 5 times a day. They're just usually so minor that they're imperceptible.

We get noticeable ones only very occasionally. The last one I actually remember was way back when I was a kid.

RyHoMagnifico said...

Number one question: What were you having at the pub, and please tell me you went back and finished it. That goes double if it was a sandwich.

Anonymous said...

How could I forget blizzards!? I guess it's the only weather phenomenon that I've experienced so often that my brain refused to acknowledge it as being special.

Also, don't worry. I'm going to hone my senses to perceive any seismic movement from now on. Just so I can freak out accordingly.

For the record, I was eating an amazing turkey ciabatta sandwich with a salad. I DID return to finish it, but I'm not going to lie, I was still freaked out and had lost my appetite.

cole d'arc said...

oh, Ottawa. The list just keeps growing.

I can't believe i've been replaced.

Anonymous said...

If the list is of cities that start with the letter "0", then don't forget Orlando.

cole d'arc said...

the list is best not spoken of here. but i can say it is pretty hilarious to mention Ottawa and Orlando together - pretty sure that "O" is all they share.