September 7, 2011

No Time For Them Fancy Chapter Plays On That There Picture Box

I think that I've done well in not watching a single episode of countless popular TV series. You name a show that everyone was talking about in the last 15 years or so, and I've avoided it entirely. The problem, however, is the feeling of being left out.

The thing that aggravates me is when people tell me I "really need to watch" a particular show. I'm not mad that they're recommending something they like to me, I'm mad because they think I have that kind of time to invest. Honestly, there's a huge disparity in the time commitment involved in watching a TV series versus a movie. Watch a film for 2 hours and it's done; life moves on. Watch 2 episodes of some popular show and you're in the middle of story arc that may or may not have an ending 40+ hours down the line.

"You should really watch BLANK. The second season is a little boring, but if you stick it out the third and fourth seasons really pay off. It's amazing!"

Nobody ever recommends a show to me when it's only a few episodes in. You know why? Because nobody knows that the show is incredible yet. I'm always finding out once I'm 50 episodes behind. There's no catching up on that. Not when everyone's talking about a season finale that I'm weeks or months away from seeing.

And how am I supposed to actually go about watching it? I don't have the channels they play on, so I can't just tune in. Am I supposed to upgrade my cable package? Am I supposed to rent or buy or borrow or download a season every weekend until I'm caught up? Again, the time and money involved is potentially huge.

I do want to watch some shows. I'd like to join in on a conversation about Breaking Bad, or Mad Men, or The Walking Dead, or any number of shows friends and family rave about. Sadly these days my free hours slip by before I know what to do with them, and I don't have time for your TV shows. Not even just the first season to see if I like it. Not even on DVD without the commercials.

Sorry. I'm just lame like that.


2 comments:

Concerned Reader said...

I realize this is an older post, however I'm just reading it for the first time. The problem with your blog now a days, and why I check it so little is the constant negativity you keep throwing up. "I dont have cable, I dont have time, I dont like your shows, ll movies except Woody Allen movies suck democrat balls, Captain America sucks the story was flawed hes the human torch" Shut up! No one like to read your bitching about everything, you stopped seeing movies about their entertainment value and critic everything to the nth degree. You bash Paul because you dont like Seth Rogan... so what? Stop complaining about that and look at the REST OF THE MOVIE AND STORY LINE AND ENTERTAINMENT!

Shane said...

Hey, Concerned. Kind of baffled by your remarks. I never really thought of my posts as being universally negative. I like to bitch about some things, but who doesn't? I try to keep it humorous and interesting.

Also, who says I only like Woody Allen movies? When did I say I didn't like "Paul" because of Seth Rogan? When did I say I didn't like "Paul", period, for that matter? Or Seth Rogan? I've never even seen Captain America (though I'd like to), so I don't know what you're going on about.

Anyway, try not to take everything so seriously. Thanks for reading, hope you keep stopping by.