August 14, 2014

Goodbye, Mr. Williams

It's difficult and shocking for the world to lose someone as talented and amazing as Robin Williams. It's even more shocking to lose him in this manner. For my entire life he been an icon of comedy and boundless enthusiasm. It's just so hard to reconcile that persona with this untimely end. Who could ever imagine a light that bright would extinguish itself?

I won't lie, these last few days I've found myself on the verge of tears several times. Since his passing the Internet has been abuzz with stories and memories shared of the movies we grew up loving, and the impact he had on our lives. The more I think of it, the more it rings true; for many of us he was our childhood.

The first movie I can recall seeing at the theatre without my parents was Aladdin. I watched it with friends and can still remember the pure excitement and magic I felt when the Genie was introduced. My eyes were glued to the screen and I laughed my goddamned pants off.

For years my family owned a copy of Good Morning, Vietnam but I couldn't watch it until much later because the VHS cassette had broken. I finally took it upon myself to Frankenstein it back together with other cassette pieces and it was the only time I can think of making that sort of effort to see a film. Finally being able to watch it was like finding treasure.

I remember reading an issue of Disney Adventures magazine and discovering that Robin and myself shared the same birthday. I was thrilled to have that connection - any connection - to his larger-than-life personality.

I remember going over to a friend's house to watch Hook. I remember being blown away by Dead Poets Society in high school. I remember watching his stand up specials in university more times than I can count.

There's no doubt that Robin Williams made a mark on us all. We grew up with his characters, his performances, his spirit. As heartbroken as we feel now, we should be happy for those memories and find comfort in that.

Goodbye, Mr. Williams. We'll cherish the gifts you've given us.

1 comment:

cole d'arc said...

I can't begin to express how shocked and saddened I was by his passing. And i'm getting really sick of some media types reactions to suicides, calling them "selfish" and "cowardly" - those people don't know anything about depression and addiction and the demons some of us struggle with, even some of the most rich, famous and loved. It doesn't matter who you are, these things can take anyone down and to say it's because of cowardice is beyond sickening.

Check out our tribute to Robin Williams on next weeks show if you can.