May 1, 2007

Howling Homemakers

Today I was crippled with laughter over a slight mispronunciation. It was my last class of the day and I was going over some questions with a small class of students. I was asking about their parents' jobs and a girl let me know that her mother was a housewolf.

I totally lost it. I guess since I was exhausted and my guard was down.

The images that flashed in my brain when she said it was a mix of some large wolf running around a living room's coffee table, and a werewolf type creature wearing an apron. It's a wonderfully ridiculous idea.

"Hey, come on in. Dinner will be ready any moment."

"Cool. Sorry I'm late. There was traffic and - Holy shit! Is that a wolf!?"

"Oh don't mind her. She's just our housewolf."

"A what!!!?"

"A housewolf. You know, for maintaining order, and frightening away hoodlums."

I have a question. Why have there been no decent movies about werewolves? I've talked about this with friends many times before, and it seems like every movie where a werewolf takes center stage ends up being pretty terrible. We've got some excellent vampire movies, and some tremendous zombie movies, but what about the werewolf? The Howling, An American Werewolf in London/Paris, Teen Wolf, Wolf, Ginger Snaps, Underworld, Van Helsing, Cursed, etc. All these movies are pretty boring or crappy. None of them truly capture the coolness of werewolves, which I still fully believe exists.

Anyway, until the day comes when a stellar lycanthrope story hits theatres, I'll be waiting. I do plan to obtain a housewolf to entertain me in the meantime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to see a doctor for your sudden swerve in topic. Sure, wolves was the common denominator, but going from housewolves to werewolves with no warning, does seem pretty dangerous. I have three cavities.
Anyway, did you ever see Stephen King's Silver Bullet? Not bad...

Anonymous said...

I have not, but maybe I should if it's 'not bad'. Does that mean it's also 'not good'?