December 10, 2007

Big Misteaks

I have long felt that one of the most overrated foods in this world is the steak. For some reason people have put steaks on an upper tier of deliciousness as if it was the greatest form of meat, hell, the greatest meal one could choose. I find steaks can't compete with even a simple food, such as a sandwich.

I think the biggest problem I have with steaks is the inconsistency. Every time you eat one it's a bit of a gamble. Cuts of meat vary, the preparation can be different each time, and who knows what nitwit is cooking it. Half the time I've ordered steak, I've realized two bites in that I've wasted a bunch of money.

Honestly, I don't like paying a bunch of money for a slab of something that may or may not be edible. Gristle, fat, and stringy bits of who knows what. You're just innocently trying to enjoy your meal and bam, a mouthful of earlobe. I don't want to deal with that.

But it's not to say that sandwiches can't be bad. A sandwich is only as good as its construction, but I'd take a sandwich over a steak any day. A sandwich is full of near limitless delicious potential.

Sometimes I'm in a simple mood and I take an easy route. Maybe a peanut butter and jelly, or a sliced tomato on toasted bread. And other times I'm adventurous and want to experiment and I can't put enough ingredients. Deli meats, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, avocados, fresh ground pepper, cheeses, pickles, bell peppers, cucumbers, pineapple, shredded carrot, sliced apple, mayo, mustard, olives, sprouts, the list goes on. A sandwich can be as straightforward or insane as you want, plus you don't need utensils to eat it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) Your lazy for not liking utensils.

2) You put apples in a sandwich...you're a freak.

3) I love earlobes