May 27, 2008

Attack of the Jones

Much to my delight I was able to see the new Indiana Jones movie on the weekend. I was so pumped about witnessing a new adventure that I brought my own whip and lashed a few people on the way in. Don't worry, they were cool about it.

The movie was excited as a whole and certainly an above average action flick but I was disappointed by the use of CGI throughout. I remember reading long ago the Spielberg was going to make this new film with the same sort of "hands on" stunt work and special effects that made the original trilogy so great. But he totally lied.

The CGI is not overused, but it's definitely used throughout. The opening shot of the film is that of a computer generated prairie dog. A prairie dog? C'mon, that's just lazy! I know prairie dogs aren't extinct, it's not like the movie involved one moonwalking in a cape. That sort of thing pisses me off, and it was probably George Lucas' influence.

George Lucas must be in love with computer created special effects. His prequel trilogy of Star Wars films are disappointing on an huge scale. The creatures, vehicles, environments, characters, and props are almost entirely from a computer. It was relied on too much and weakened the spirit of the story. How can actors convey something serious and compelling when they're moving blindly around a green screen set for 80% of filming.

CG should be used to make the impossible seem real. Not as a way to duplicate reality. So if you're making a movie with a dragon, turn to a computer. If you're making a movie with a gopher, check the backyard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gophers are extinct...idiot