September 10, 2008

Mow, mow, mow. How do you like it? How do you like it?!!

Well, I'm a mere week away from my return to Korea to resume teaching shenanigans. I finished my current job at the beginning of September and have been keeping myself busy since. How are you keeping yourself busy, you ask.

Mowing grass.

Yeah, that's about it. It's an around the clock unending job in itself. My father's property is about three acres of obstacles to mow around. What makes the job harder is only having one gas mower to do it with; a mower that is at death's door.

Plus, with the unpredictable weather that Nova Scotia provides, a day planned for catching up with cutting grass can turn into a panicked run for shelter from a downpour. When the grass is wet, it's impossible to cut, but waiting for it to dry means risking another rain shower, and more grass growing. I can wait days for it to dry and still feel like I'm mowing a field of coleslaw. You push through three metres of slightly damp grass and the whole works clog up, the blades struggle, and you have to stop and dig it out by hand. That's a kind of fun you only read about in magazines. Bullshit Mowing Monthly, for example.

By the time I've finished, the parts I initially cut a few days ago are already looking shaggy, and you pretty much have to tackle it right then and there in case it rains and becomes out of control. At this point I see the virtues of paving it over.

No comments: