February 1, 2009

A Mouth in Flames and Animals that Rock Out

Two things I learned this weekend:

1) If a menu says that something is "very spicy", watch the eff out. I learned this the hard way when I ordered a seafood noodle dish that made this claim. I laughed and said to the waiter, "I care not for your warnings, food steward! Bring forth the spice!"

One mouthful later my brain ignited. I was immediately thrown into a hiccuping fit, and began sweating. I can't be sure, but I believe the main ingredient was lava. Because of this, I came nowhere near finishing it. I have never experienced anything like that before; it destroyed my mouth, gave me a terrible headache, and left me feeling like my stomach was filled with a pile of burning embers.

Don't let it happen to you! And also...

2) Korean teens like to dress up like animals for concerts. Girls, specifically. I was hanging around Olympic Park with friends on Sunday and witnessed thousands of people congregating for a Big Bang concert. Big Bang is a K-pop/ hip-hop group that all adolescent Korean girls are required by law to adore.

Almost every girl was either wearing or clutching some sort of Big Bang merchandise, but what was surprising was that many were dressed up in full-body costumes of animals. I saw girls dressed like dogs, bears, foxes, chickens, horses, cats, cows, and turtles. The costumes reminded me of something you'd see a baby doll wearing in a toy store, except full sized, and as far as I know dressing up like an animal has no connection to Big Bang at all.

I suppose its done out of childish fun and the pursuit for attention. But most importantly, if G-Dragon looks out into the audience to find a girl to bring up on stage, he's bound to notice a giant chicken.

4 comments:

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RyHoMagnifico said...

Had that happen to me with with some spicy dan dan at a stirfry place once. I'm fairly certain I've lost at least 50% of my ability to smell and relish now oddly tastes like toothpaste.

Anonymous said...

Losing your sense of smell is no laughing matter. I mean, if you eat something that spicy again, it'll go after another sense instead. Nobody wants to be blinded by spice ....unless the picture in the menu looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I'll tackle the dress up issue...long has there been a stereotype of asian school girls, but I can't tell which is sexier: an asian school girl dressed like a chicken or a turtle...maybe some super churtle or ticken would be the ultimate pleasure...