November 17, 2009

Tall Tales

Here's a question. Why are paperback books suddenly being produced taller than usual? You know what I mean? If you haven't noticed, next time you're in a book store observe how paperbacks are the same width, but now are 1/2 - 3/4 inch taller. It's a minor change, but enough to drive me positively nuts.


These new books don't feel right when you hold and read them. They're so tall and skinny that it feels like you're reading a thick pamphlet, or one of those greeting cards made to put money inside. For me, it's not aesthetically pleasing. Now books aren't going to properly fit in some bookshelves. Goddamn it.

I wish I knew the reason for this seemingly meaningless change. It must save on expenses somewhere. But for the consumer, books keep getting more expensive and taller. I want to see a price cut, and more importantly, let's get back to circumcising our books. It's just more hygienic.

7 comments:

kingshearte said...

As someone who works in a bookstore, I have some insight. I seem to recall, when they first starting bringing those horrid things out a few years ago, that it was actually presented (to us, at least) as theoretically being more pleasant for the reader. More white space or something, maybe? I don't know. All I know is that I was sceptical at the time, and I remain entirely unconvinced that these are a good thing, largely for the same reasons you describe.

So basically, that wasn't very insightful at all. But I totally agree with you. I hate those extra-tall mass markets. Of course, I'm not a huge fan of regulation-height ones, either. I like trades. But anyway. Extra-tall = bleah.

cole d'arc said...

people just hate trees. makes me sad.

Anonymous said...

Publishers think that more white space is more pleasant? Could this be racism in disguise?

kingshearte said...

Wait! I have actual insight now. My hubby is a manager at Chapters, and thus is a little closer to all the secrets, and apparently they lied to us when they told us it was for a more pleasant reading experience. It is about money. Taller pages means more words per page, which means fewer pages per book, which means fewer cuts have to be made to the paper. Ergo, they're cheaper to produce.

Anonymous said...

So the secret is out. It was all about saving money after all.

Sadly, I doubt they factored in losing business from picky customers such as myself.

kingshearte said...

You should complain. Seriously. But I don't mean go into the store and bitch at an employee there. I mean write a letter and send it to... I'm not sure where would be best. Head office of publishers who seem especially prone to it? Even Chapters head office or something, as the large bookstores do have *some* influence.

cole d'arc said...

i'm definitely going to just walk in the store and go off on the poor bastards there. can't believe she said "hubby"...