August 13, 2010

House O' Cards

A while ago deafening construction began at my workplace, and a month later it hasn't let up. My job involves talking on the phone (the sweetest job, I know) and somehow not being able to hear yourself makes the process, how can I put this, ... stupidly awful.

The foundation of the building is being repaired and it involves using a bunch of jackhammers to rattle the building until you have a migraine in your eyes. I remember jokingly saying to a coworker that we should be given earplugs, except we can't use them because we need to talk on the phone. The next day the supervisors were handing out earplugs. Ha.

The repairs are necessary because of A) it's an old building, and B) the recent earthquake "messed up the foundation". Somehow I feel less than completely safe being inside a building that needs structural repairing. But I'm paranoid like that.

My plan is to buy a parachute and wear it all times and if things look shaky I'll dive out a window to safety. Another possible plan is to quit my job. I'm leaning more towards plan B because I have no idea where to get a parachute. Unless I steal it from an elementary school gym class.

3 comments:

RyHoMagnifico said...

We've had an ongoing construction project at my apartment building since April. It finally appears to be coming to a close, but it's been a trying Spring/Summer.

They did work on the entire parking garage, gutting it and then relaying the concrete, as well as new supports, etc.

If this sounds like what they're doing at your workplace, get out now.

Anonymous said...

When you say get out now, is it a joking "get out to avoid the noise", or is it a semi serious "get out before the whole place implodes"?

I haven't seen the work being done down there, but it involves the parking garage and lots and lots of jackhammering.

RyHoMagnifico said...

Noise.

The jackhammering will begin as a nuisance, but will eventually upgrade to soul-corroding status.