December 29, 2010

Adventures in Paper: Like Mathematic Snowflakes Part One

It's been a while since I posted something about my fold-stuffs. Lately I've been focusing on tessellations and using square, rectangular, and hexagonal sheets of paper. Here are some of my earlier attempts:

Often the starting point for any tessellation pattern is by creasing a piece of paper into a grid of triangles and then working them from there. The sheets of paper above and below both started with the same folds and then took on completely different forms.

This one is different from the others because it's more of a 3 dimensional model that doesn't lie flat. But like all tessellations it's made of a repeating fold pattern. I like this one quite a bit.



Here's one I designed myself by just putting together folding techniques I learned with others. I call it, "The Legend of Star Force Power Squad". No, wait, that's the name for my upcoming Saturday morning cartoon.

An aspect of the tessellations I like is how new patterns emerge when they are backlit, like this one. Often people will fold them with foil or plastic sheets to emphasize this effect. But all I can afford is plain ol' modified printer paper. This one looks like a sea of flux capacitors.

Here's another basic pattern that starts with a hexagon twist. And no, that's not the new dance craze. "Hey, did you see Bobby dislocate his groin when he tried the hexagon twist? It was rad."

Next time I'll unleash a batch of images of more advanced tessellations I'm quite proud of. I soon learned that doubling the folds somehow quadruples the results. I don't know how it works, but I'm pretty sure it's magic.

4 comments:

kingshearte said...

It boggles my mind a little that these are the "not advanced" models. These things are incredibly cool. I hope you have some on your Christmas tree (assuming you have such an item), because a hole through a corner and a loop, and they would make excellent tree ornaments.

Shane said...

Thanks, I always knew deep down that origami was cool. lol

I've used origami around Christmas for many uses. I've folded plenty of Christmas ornaments and decorations, folded boxes to put gifts in, and folded complicated models to give as gifts themselves. I even know several snazzy ways to fold a napkin for holiday parties.

I didn't have the colored paper or time to do decorations this year, but maybe next time...

Like my testicals, your blog is HOT said...

Next year you should fold a Christmas tree, complete with lights and tinsel!

Shane said...

Challenge accepted! Wait...can I use glue?