February 20, 2011

Adventures in Paper: Like Mathematic Snowflakes Part Two

It's time to check out more paper tessellations in my second installment. I know you're excited but calm down. Let's start with one of my favorite patterns known as the clover-fold...

I don't really know why it's called the clover-fold, but I think it looks interesting, and it's challenging. At the end of my last "Adventures in Paper" post I mentioned that doubling the folds seemed to quadruple the results. Below is the same clover-fold using the same sized paper but simply making double the initial creases.

Here is another example of a design I showed last time with double the folds. It implements just a series of triangle twists.

Like many origami tessellations, it can only be fully appreciated with some back lighting. As you can see, it takes on a whole new pattern.

This one below may be my favorite I've done. I think it's a good example of how many shapes and shades can be produced with a single sheet of white paper. The pattern is a double pleat hexagonal tessellation and it uses a similar arrangement of triangle twists.

After a while of folding so many damn triangles, I figured I fold a whole bunch more, but try to fit them closer together.

Here it is again with some sunlight.

This last one is my own design. After folding dozens of tessellations I began experimenting with and combining the folds I'd learned. The end result kind of looks like a mutated flower, star, and snowflake... which is awesome.

Well, that's all for now. Next time I will be showing you the fantastic wonders of cutting and folding paper with the delicate art of Kirigami ... aka the deranged step-brother of Origami.

3 comments:

kingshearte said...

My apologies for sounding like a screeching fangirl, but...

OMG! These things are so cool!

Shane said...

Thanks. I'm glad to have a fan. I had a feeling you could appreciate them since you've also have a hobby that involves planning and patience to craft intricate designs. The only difference is my hobby can't keep my head warm in the winter.

cole d'arc said...

annnnnnd you've wasted your life