July 3, 2011

Lobster Legs and the Fun Police

When I was out in the hot sun for several hours on Canada Day, I made a crucial mistake. I put sunscreen on my neck, my face, and my arms, ... but not my legs. Why should I bother? I figured my legs are all the way down there, how could the sun's harmful rays possibly reach them? It wasn't until I got home that I realized my legs had been boiled alive.

It's not so bad. I can still do stuff as long as it doesn't involve bending or moving my legs. If anyone needs me this week, I'll be over there, standing in a barrel of aloe.

Here's a picture I done took while I was out slow roasting my calves:

This sign amuses me. Not because it was trying to keep amateur circus acts off a very busy sidewalk, but because the sign shows a slash through a juggling figure, as if it were prohibiting fun itself. I kept hoping I would see some busker nearby being pinned to the ground and handcuffed by two cops, his violin crushed beneath him.

This Canada Day merriment was kept in line. Remember, if you're going to have a good time in Ottawa make sure it's by the books.

3 comments:

cole d'arc said...

now that's the Ottawa I remember

kingshearte said...

Interestingly enough, Don and I were discussing the fact that on Canada Day, such rules seem to be relaxed and people actually *do* have fun in Ottawa. It's only the city that fun forgot 364 days a year.

And in light of that fact, and all the busking going on everywhere you look downtown, I find that sign slightly hilarious.

Shane said...

As I know, most fun can only be had in Ottawa once you've filled out and submitted the proper application forms with the attached supporting documentation and entertainment fee. If your paperwork is free of errors it will be passed on to the Council of Enjoyment Directors who will determine the value of your fun and then issue a Temporary Merriment Permit (valid for 3 business days). However, if your Fun Application is denied you may resubmit a followup application to your local Amusement Office (open from 7am-7:30am, Monday - Tuesday) and a final letter of decision will be mailed to you in 6-8 weeks