September 11, 2007

Computer Woes: That's how it goes

It's been really great to be back at home and in Canada in general. I've found myself quite busy with friends, family, and general work to be done at home. I've spent a lot of time sorting through all of my junk and deciding what to toss. My lord, why have I kept everything since the beginning of time? There's no reason to hold on to junior high arithmetic papers.

Also, I've spent oodles of time trying to get my stupid computer working. Despite my efforts, it is still not completely operational. Apparently, when you don't use a computer for a long long time (let's say two years), the computer craps its pants and forgets how to work entirely. Since returning I've had to buy a new battery and a new memory card. Plus, I can't get my Internet router to work, and every time I turn on the computer a new problem pops up, whether its the mouse not working, or the screen coming up black.

It's pretty sad when you think about how fragile computers are, especially since we depend so highly on them. I found an old Betamax VCR in my closet this week which hadn't been used in forever. I plugged the sucker in, and sure enough it still worked. I mean, beta is crummy, but at least it endures. What messed up my computer? Not using it! It's not like I kicked in the screen, left it out in the snow, or packed in away in a shed with boxes of industrial magnets. I just left it in my room, safe from the elements. And it still barfed all over itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A computer barfing, I would pay to see. I just bought a Super Nintendo on ebay...old things rule, new computers suck.
My next purhase: a rotary portable phone that only works when the stainless steel antenna is lit on fire...