September 24, 2007

This Price Tag is a House of Lies

Good gracious, this has been the longest period between blog entries for some time. I've been so busy rediscovering the glories of Canada, that I've not committed nearly enough attention to this site. Apologies all around.

Since I've returned there are certain things about Korea that I miss. First off, tax. After living two years in a country where 95% of businesses mark the price with taxes included, I got sort of used to having everything work out to nice even numbers. I see something priced at 3000 won, I pay 3000 won, and life goes on. Now, for the last several weeks I look at prices and think that's what I'll pay. I get exact change ready and then I'm thrown for a loop when the total comes to some bullshit number like $4.37. Also, in Korea, no one tips and nobody expects you to tip. On several occasions when I tried to tip someone for some food, I was met with a near aggressive refusal of it. So now I'm back to calculating how much extra I should give, and it's annoying.

And speaking of annoying, yesterday when I was using an ATM at my bank the machine ate my card. That's a first for me. It started to come out, but the card got wedged on seemingly nothing. It was in too far for me to grab, so the machine fussed with it for about five seconds and then went "Screw it!" and sucked the card back in. Next I heard the card get shredded and dumped into the ATM's furnace.

I called the help line written on the ATM and was informed by a woman that my card had been lost and I should go to my bank soon to get a replacement. That didn't seem much like help, more like a statement of the obvious:

"Sir, unfortunately you won't be able to retrieve your card from the machine, so I recommend visiting your local branch and getting a new bank card."

"...Oh? I thought you were going to help me. Like explain to me how to open this sucker up and get it back. I got tools here, if that's a problem."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that was just about as funny as me waiting for the next zombie comic to come out.... Well its NOT very funny... get your act together and grab a god damn pen or pencil already you dyke. Anywho, glad to see you made it back in one piece.
PS: i think i lost my hat... oh wait, here it is never mind

Anonymous said...

Im Ashton Kutcher and that was AWSOME!

Anonymous said...

Wow, even the comments get weirder when you're back in Canada...go back to Korea and bring some normalcy back to this site