October 29, 2008

Things That Go Squat in the Night

As Halloween approaches, I'm pleased to find myself getting into the spirit of the season. Just yesterday I dressed up as Frankenstein's monster and sacrificed a goat. Then I ate a dozen boxes of Popeye candy sticks.

Okay, none of that really happened, but I will be carving some pumpkins tomorrow eve, and I intend to watch some horror movies. Can't go wrong with that. Nothing gets the heart pumping like a good scare.

Speaking of being scared, I think I've lived in Korea long enough to make a general observation: Koreans squat very well. It seems to be one of the more preferred stances, and I see it happening at all hours of the day and night. I think elderly Koreans must have the strongest knees on earth, because on my way to work, I often see women in their 80's and 90's squatting and just chilling.

The reason I bring this up is because on numerous occasions I've had the living shit scared out of me by someone squatting. I go for walks in the evening and as I'm walking about through the neighborhoods I'll suddenly see that there is an old Korean man squatting a foot away from me - smoking and staring. Had he been standing up I would have likely seen him, but since he was squatting, he disappeared into the shadows.

It's the kind of fright you get when you think you're alone, and realizing that there's someone right next to you. I would like them to stop doing that. Not just because it's startling, but because it seems dangerous. If you're squatting in the road and a man walking by couldn't see you, how well do you think a car will?

Anyway, that's my thought for the day. Hope everyone has a fun and spooky Halloween. For lovers of candy and groups of five please check out my list of the worst Halloween treats.

Boo.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Squatting, smoking and staring are the meditative trinity that put you at one with Han.