June 29, 2011

Fractal Dragons and Hidden Pixels

If you have graph paper on hand why not draw some fractals? All the cool kids are doing it. I've been toying around with drawing and designing fractals because it's a good way to pass the time, and to look like a huge nerdy nerd. I figured I would practice with a famous one, known as the Dragon Curve:

If you want to draw your own Dragon Curve (I bet you're fucking stoked), all you need to do is draw a straight line, then copy the line again at a 90 degree angle so it connects at the end of the previous line. Then copy those two lines again turned 90 degrees. Then copy those 4 lines turned another 90 degrees, and so on and so on until you go mad or lose your patience.

I like the strange spiraling pattern that emerges after copying and rotating a few times. But it's easy to lose track of what you're doing as the pattern becomes twice as complicated each time. The picture above took me four attempts (and I still had to scratch out a small mistake).

Here's a fractal that I made up:

Now I don't know if this fractal is completely original or if it was actually discovered in the 30's by some Austrian mathematician. I just started in the middle with a cross and began branching out equally in all directions and following a few basic rules I laid out for myself.

As I was drawing it I noticed emerging shapes that reminded me of video games. Can you spot the Mario mushroom, Zelda rupees and fairies, metroids, or Pac-Man? I like the way it turned out, though I would have kept going if I hadn't run out of paper.

Stupid paper, why must you have limits while my imagination hath none?

No comments: