January 20, 2014

Cinema 2013

Now that I'm finally caught up on most of the movies I wanted to see from 2013, thought I would do a quick rundown of my ten favourites from last year.

10. Spring Breakers
Repulsive and hypnotic at the same time, this movie most certainly made me feel like a pervert watching it. Even more so that I ended up liking it. It has some memorable sequences (such as the piano montage or the restaurant robbery) and the movie continually caught me off guard. It's not gonna win any Oscars, but I appreciate the insanity of it all.

9. American Hustle
Solid performances all around, a killer soundtrack, and some hilarious moments grabbed this movie a spot on the list. With a cast like this, it's no wonder there's already awards buzz. Amy Adams gave a great performance, and every scene between Bradley Cooper and Louis CK was gold.

8. Evil Dead
I have endless love for the original Evil Dead movies, and this "reboot" paid proper homage to the series without seeming like a copy. The movie sidestepped the campy goodness of Ash, and chose a more hardcore horror path. But it still worked for me. It had fantastic practical gore effects, and legitimately scary moments. While it mirrored key scenes and style elements of the original, this film carved it's own bloody path down a darker road.

7. The World's End
This final installment nicely rounds out the bizarre and hilarious "Cornetto Trilogy". While the final act of the movie felt week compared to the rest, it's anything but boring. It starts as a solid drama before diving headfirst into a sci-fi beat-'em-up. I've never seen anything quite like it.

6. The Way Way Back
A movie filled with painfully real characters playing out some painfully real moments. But it was entertaining and funny as heck too; Sam Rockwell had my laughing harder than most comedies last year, and Steve Carell nailed his performance as "douchebag boyfriend". If you enjoyed the likes of "Little Miss Sunshine" but wish it had more water parks, I would give this one a go.

5... For a look at my top five, check out my annual movie list over at Five-o-rama. That's right. This was all a scheme to lead you over there. Bwa-ha-ha!


Also, with the Academy Award nominations recently announced I'll share my predictions for some of the key awards:

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle

Best Supporting Actor:
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress:
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Best Actor:
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Director:
Alfonso CuarĂ³n, Gravity

Best Film:
American Hustle 

You heard it here first.

No comments: