March 2, 2007

Androids Dream of Serving You Tea

I read an article in the Korean Herald today that said Japan had made significant progress in robotic developments and they will soon have a robot that can serve tea.

Thank ... Christ.

If you're anything like me, you've long grown tired of spilling hot tea all over yourself in feeble attempts at preparing it. Well, that will soon no longer be a problem.

Actually, I guess making robots must be really difficult because that doesn't sound like much progress at all. Billions of dollars have been poured into this type of research, but all we have to show for it are robots that are trying to carry teacups, and failing.

In the article a professor Tomomasa Sato said that "A human being may be faster [at serving tea], but you'd have to say 'thank you'. That's the best part about a robot. You don't have to feel bad about asking it to do things."

Well that sounds like incentive enough to continue this project. I know I'm sick to death of wasting numerous seconds a day on thanking people. Now I can't wait for the day that I can have my own tiny personal servant robot. Just a little puke of a machine that I can bully endlessly and shove down flights of stairs without feeling like a bad person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally, although I thought I could find that pleasure with my monkey butler...damn SPCA saying that he had "feelings"...well he ain't got no feeling in his legs now, the little apeish fucker.