March 14, 2007

Valentine's Pale Cousin

Today, in South Korea and a few other South-East Asia Countries, is White Day . This is the second White Day I've witnessed, so I see myself as an expert. The day is all about men giving candies to women in return for chocolates they received on Valentines Day. In fact in Japan it's good form for the boys to give thrice the value of their gifts in return.

Reading about it online revealed that it grew in popularity in Hong Kong and in the beginning was called Marshmallow Day when a savvy marshmallow maker dreamed up the holiday to sell his ... you guessed it ... marshmallows. Anyway, it eventually changed to White Day and became what it is today - Another excuse to sell/eat candy.


I'm sure in time this holiday will be picked up in North America. I think most people would jump at the chance to stuff their craw with marshmallows, candy, white chocolate, cream, and any other white foodstuffs for a day. Most do without a holiday telling them to. It's gluttony hidden beneath a veil of 'tradition'. Just look at any other holiday in the west.

Hey, Jesus was born! Yeah...cookies and cranberries and cakes! Oh no, Jesus has died! Hooray for cream-filled chocolate eggs! Is it the Fourth of July? I'd better eat twelve types of barbecued meat and a bucket of coleslaw. I hate waiting for my Christmas turkey; can't we eat turkey in November too? I wanted to eat that practice turkey in October, but all I got to consume was several bags of candy. C'mon, let's all pretend to give thanks and then eat until we fall asleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

APPLAUSE!
Lewis Black would be proud...man, you are getting dangerously close to being ready to have your own tv show...