March 23, 2007

One of these things is not like the other

Today I was played a game with a class of my students, using flash cards that were just a series of random objects and simple English words. We were taking turns laying out four cards on the table, three of which would be connected somehow. The goal was to determine which card didn't belong and why. Simple enough.

I was general impressed with the connections the students devised, but one in particular I thought was great. A middle school student named Ruby slapped down her four cards: a baby, a wagon, a rope, and money. It puzzled everyone for a while, as you can imagine. She finally revealed that the wagon was the odd card because the other three were all things related to a kidnapping.

I cracked up when I heard that. Little did she realise that the wagon could also connected to kidnappings. Wouldn't that be the best way to transport a tied-up baby? Maybe I'm over thinking the whole game, but for now I'm withholding her gold sticker until I can verify that it was a valid play based on the rules.

Remember kids, obey the rules.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you. You're totally in the right. You should actually fail her for not seeing the obvious transport options a wagon provides for a tied up baby. (Also, money is the REAL item that doesn't belong...in 2007, most people do kidnapping for fun, like me)

Anonymous said...

ok, how about this:
Salmon, Condoms, Vaseline, 2x4

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to guess, but it must have something to do with a 'sexy party'.

Anonymous said...

Maby it's a cry for healp.