January 2, 2007

An Observation on Hamburger Practices

Westerners usually make hamburger eating an experience that involves all the senses, including touch. We free it from its wrapper prison and grip onto its delicious bulk, as one holds a giant wedge of watermelon, to save it from spilling apart. At least that's how I've seen many do it (and how I've done it myself); even commercials frequently show delighted individuals holding aloft the stacked sandwiches before gorging.

Though in Korea I've seen a less greedy approach as many customers peel away the wrapper and eat it carefully without making direct hand contact with the food. While in Hong Kong at a hamburger joint I found tiny individual packets containing pairs of plastic gloves among the napkins, straws, and condiments. People could wear them while enjoying their fried chicken or burgers respectively. All in all I would say that there is a greater attention to hygiene here.

Also, I've witnessed the occasional hamburger cut in half so that it may be shared. I can't see this practice ever moving west, where burgers are never big enough and every opportunity to up-size and add cheese is taken. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting how such an American thing as fast food could be done in such a sanitary and non gluttonous way. Maybe one day we can all learn to eat less with cleaner hands.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that a photograph of my bachelor party? I swear if that guy asked me for fries ONE MORE TIME....