August 26, 2007

Slake Thy Thirst!

While guzzling some Korean bottled water at the mall today, I learned something about its name. Called Soon-Soo, the name translates with two meanings: the first is 'purity', and the second meaning is that of 'innocence' or 'naivety'. I find that interesting.

Maybe you don't, but I do, and that's all that matters. Anyone who has drank a bottle of Evian has surely noticed what it spells in reverse. What are these water companies trying to tell us? I'm sure their goal was to convey the simplicity of water itself, but I can't help but feel like it's directed more at the drinker. Are we simpletons for forking out the dough for something as basic and essential as water. Do these companies see us as unsuspecting 'children' who can be easily persuaded?

Bottled water has become a fact of life, yet we all can recall a time when it was just becoming trendy. Mocked at first, and then consumed by all. It makes me think of comedian Jim Gaffigan and his first impressions of seeing bottled water for sale: "Ha! Bottled water! You guys get a load of this. They're selling bottled water. (long pause)... I guess I try one."

So maybe the names mean nothing, but sometimes it feels like anything - and perhaps eventually everything - could be marketed and sold to us. Given enough exposure to a product, we seem to give in. Having said that, be wary of cans of air for sale with names like Peer Pressure and C'mon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I saw ANYTHING at the store that was called "C'mon" I'd buy it by the truck loads...I mean, c'mon, that's catchy marketing...